From My Wok to Yours - Taking the Mystery Out of Everyday Dining and Meals!!

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Celebrate a 38th!!!


Recently, Nancy, my lifelong friend and fellow blogger celebrated her 38th anniversary with her husband, Tom. I was contemplating what kind of advice I could possibly offer her for a celebration, but seeing how successful she has been, creating and raising a wonderful family, I figured that she didn’t need my advice.

So I am just going to gift her a favorite recipe of mine, hopefully one that she and her family will like. (There is even an element in it that her resident Muscovy Duck, Cruzer, will enjoy.)

38th Anniversary… hmm… In keeping with the Chinese/Asian Theme of my most recent posts, I was tempted to suggest a visit to the 38th Parallel. However, I remembered that a successful marriage, especially after 38 years, has very few lines of demarcation.

Other notable 38’s include Gerald Ford, 38th President of our great country… The only person to become both the unelected Vice-President and President of the United States.

The 38th Element in the periodic table should be renamed Luvenhim, although in truth, it is Strontium. It is a very important element used for maintaining proper chemical balances in a salt water reef tank.

The 38th Ryder Cup was just played and won by Europe, as the US team, captained by Corey Pavin, fell flat at the end. (This is a golf reference, for those of you who are unfamiliar with the game.)

If your 38th is a benchmark for the 38th year of hell that you may have had to endure, (clearly not the case for Nancy & Tom) I might recommend a .38 Special. One heckuva gun, designed by Smith & Wesson.

In the event you decide to utilize the legal remedies for such hell, the 38th Judicial District of Texas is located in Uvalde County. Call me for more details. (I know who I had darned well better not be hearing from… ahem… Nancy…)

So here is to Nancy and Tom; Congratulations on 38 years, with many more to come. You two have done well, with 2 awesome kids whom I have had the pleasure of knowing & going to school with. Clearly, we should all strive to follow in your footsteps.

I offer you, as my gift, my recipe for Pine Nut & Chicken Lettuce Wraps. From my wok to yours, from my heart to yours.

Good Eating, Friends…

Pine Nut & Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients

o 1/4 cup soy sauce



o 4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar



o 2 teaspoons cornstarch



o 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, finely diced



o 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped



o 1 red pepper, finely diced



o 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted



o 3 scallions, thinly sliced



o 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided



o 1 head Bibb lettuce, (leaves separated, washed and dried)



o 1/3 cup hoisin sauce



Directions

Gather these tools: cutting board; chef's knife; measuring spoons; dry measuring cups; small mixing bowl; spoon; large saute pan or wok; wooden spoon

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and cornstarch. Set aside.

In a large saute pan or wok over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and saute diced chicken breast and saute for about 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Add the remaining tablespoon oil and saute water chestnuts, peppers, and scallions until soft.

Return the chicken to the pan and add the toasted pine nuts. Add the soy sauce mixture and stir-fry until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute.

Arrange lettuce leaves on a large platter. Top lettuce leaves with a heaping spoonfuls of the chicken mixture. Dollop with hoisin sauce and serve immediately.

about this recipe

The inspiration for this dish comes the traditional Chinese "Chicken Soong." Made with finely diced chicken, water chestnuts, peppers, and pine nuts, this recipe can be served as a first or main course. Top spoonfuls of this light saute with sweet hoisin sauce and serve in Bibb lettuce cups.

Good Eating, Friends…



Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

1 comment:

  1. Colin,
    This sounds delicious!
    I love lettuce wraps, though I've never made them--yet. I'll have to 'wrap' Tom around some tomorrow!
    Thanks for the special treat of your awesome recipes.
    Go gettum Giants!!

    ReplyDelete