From My Wok to Yours - Taking the Mystery Out of Everyday Dining and Meals!!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Wok, You Wok!!

A few weeks ago, (way back in March, to be specific,) I submitted my personal information to the Food Network Channel in hopes of gaining a screening opportunity for a television show. In my excitement to send in the necessary information, I filled out their on line application with all of my required contact info, and I gave them a brief history of my experience in the restaurant industry. I then sent it off, said a little prayer, then promptly forgot about it.


Last week I received a phone call from New York, and not recognizing the number, I answered with just a bit of trepidation. The lady on the other end of the line identified herself as the Screening Director for the Food Network Channel, and she said that she was calling potential personalities for possible inclusion in a cooking show. After gathering my wits about me, because I happened to be at work at the time, I asked what show she was hoping to screen me for.

You’ll never guess her response.

Give Up?

Turns out I had submitted my personal information to the “Worst Cooks in America” casting site.


Really.

"Twelve of the most hopeless cooks in the country will compete in a high-stakes elimination series in Worst Cooks in America. At stake for the last two standing is the chance to cook for a panel of esteemed culinary critics and win the grand prize of $25,000. This six-episode series will put the "recruits" through a culinary boot camp led by two acclaimed chefs: Anne Burrell, host of Secrets of a Restaurant Chef, and Beau MacMillan, executive chef at elements in Phoenix. "


And they wanted to screen me for it. (Kinda makes me wonder just how “bad” the cooks really are on this show.) I watched the first season of the show, and I had a clear favorite that I would have liked to see succeed. She ended up finishing second, which to me was a bit strange, but I was proud of the fact that I could find talent in a pool of cooks “so bad, it’s good.”

I wondered for a while if I would be successful on the show, as I don’t believe that I qualify as one of the “worst” cooks in America. Absolutely, there are many who are better. Definitely, there are many who are not. But one of the worst? Ehh… not sure.

I was going to have to do a home video, since I could not make the casting call in Atlanta with only 1 week’s notice. But the next question that came up was whether or not I could dumb down my abilities to qualify to be on the show or if they would have seen right through me.   The home video needs to be postmarked no later than May 7th.  I still have time to make up my mind.  Right?

My goals are definitely (hopefully) have a cooking platform to broadcast on. When I say “platform” I am not referring to one of those guys who demonstrates this miracle chopper at the state fair. I am also not talking about someone who demonstrates a $2000 set of pots and pans. I want to be the next Martin Yan. Absolutely not known as one of the worst cooks in America. (There are reputations to uphold in this family!!)

So, I guess when the next casting call for The Next Food Network Star comes up, or Hell’s Kitchen, or Chopped, or… (the list continues) I will have to send my information in to them. (Sadly, I missed out on a chance to catch the open screening for Hell’s Kitchen that happened in Dallas this past February.)

Who wouldn’t like to say that they had the opportunity to rub elbows with a star? After all, if Guy Fieri, who has a “slammin’” personality and an over-the-top screen presence can win his own show, who is to say I can’t? (Never mind the fact that I helped him open/run one of his restaurants in Santa Rosa…)

Surprise, surprise, surprise. Maybe, soon, I will catch that lucky break. Don’t get me wrong. I love what I am doing now. But I REALLY LOVE food. Let’s hope you see me on the tube, soon.

Until then, Good Eating, Friends…

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment